1. Because our chemically enhanced lives are making us weak, compromising our immunity, and our ability to live a healthy, energetic and long life.
2.Because our drugs, cleaning products, soaps and shampoos, air fresheners, deodorants, fast food, designer nutrients and recreational drugs are full of chemicals that are foreign to us, and they are making us sick!
3. Because our air, water and soil have been filled with the chemical by-products of industry, which were never meant for human consumption.
4. Because nature has solutions for these problems!
5. Essential oils are nature’s perfect solutions for body, mind, and spirit.
6. Essential oils are nature’s perfect solutions for the problems that chemicals, poor nutrition and stress have added to our lives.
7. Just a few drops at a time can calm us down, help us to focus, relieve the tensions we all inevitably face.
8. They can relax our muscles, improve our digestion, help us get a fantastic night’s sleep, or remember what we need to remember.
9. They can make us strong in the face of challenges, whether mental, emotional, psychological, or physical.
10. They can help us build up our immune systems, loosen our joints, and enhance our ability to heal on all fronts.
11. They can help to purify our bodies of chemical toxins as well as the air we breathe. They connect us with nature.
12. D. Gary Young, the founder of Young Living Essential Oils, suggests that essential oils may even be “the missing link” to having optimal health…the link we left behind when pharmaceuticals and synthetics came into the market place and replaced our “quaint” country ways.
13. The fragrant molecules of pure essential plant oils have been with us since our beginning. They “speak” to us of the essence of life and the way to be in harmony with it.
14. They re-connect us with nature’s holistic design for wellness, in body, mind, and spirit. They put the power of wellness in our own hands, lift our spirits and help to open our hearts.
15. They teach us to breathe, relax, and reach out to other people. That’s why we need them now…possibly more than ever.
I can't imagine my life without essential oils, because they have only made my life better.
We all know essential oils are great for health and wellness and cleaning the house of course, but when I say I use essential oils regularly in my coop, and garden, I really mean it!
The other day I started counting off a mental list of all the ways I like to use essential oils in my homesteading adventures, and I even surprised myself with how many I came up with, so here you go!
1. ORGANIC GARDEN PEST CONTROL
No one likes their garden veggies to be destroyed by insects, but most of us don’t love spraying pesticides on our food, either. There are a large handful of different oils that are fantastic for spraying in your garden to repel pests, including:
- Melaleuca (tea tree)
I get a large spray bottle and fill it with water and then add 10 drops of oregano, lavender and rosemary essential oil and shake. I usually only choose three because less is better. You don't want to kill EVERYTHING, you just want to control the bug population. Killing everything disrupts the Ecosystem.
I then spray and mist all the plants and ground and repeat this every six weeks.
2. DIY ANIMAL OR DOG SHAMPOO
Our newest addition to the family. Meet miss Mae-Mae! She is a Austraialan Shepherd blue marvel l. is a big fan of fresh cow pies and MUD. This is the recipe I used after his latest manure-laden adventure:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup mild castile soap (I use Dr. Bronners non-fragrance)
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops cedar wood essential oil
- 2 drops Lemongrass
- 2 drops rosemary
- 2 drops peppermint
- 2 drops sage
Massage onto the wet dog and rinse well. This is the BEST natural bug repellent and I repeat this every time I give the dogs a bath.
3. Essential Oil Pest Control Chart
4. CHICKEN COOP SPRAY
This will take the place of regular coop cleaner, and I love spritzing this DIY spray around the nesting boxes too, I just makes everything smell so good! It will also cut down on flies.
- 2 cups raw applecider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 10 drops oregano essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops thyme essential oil
Combine all ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake well, and spritz generously in the coop and nesting boxes. I then will sprinkle food grade DG and cayenne pepper around the nesting boxes to give it a little more protection from mites and fleas.
🌱Why use natural deodorant?
Some of the chemicals found in deodorants and antiperspirants are known endocrine disruptors – such as a class of substances called parabens (listed under the names butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, methylparaben, and propylparaben).
These preservatives prevent the growth of bacteria, mold and yeast, but research shows they negatively impact the body’s endocrine system and produce adverse developmental, reproductive, neurological, and immune effects.
Aluminum compounds (like aluminum chlorohydrate, are used in deodorants to block the sweat ducts. They have been found to mimic estrogen, which promotes growth of breast cancer cells.
I get asked all the time, “why should I use Young Living essential oils?”
I always tell people to do this great test. Put a YL and a off brand essential oil of the same kind in the freezer for 5 hours, chances are the off brand will freeze- and this means there is filler in it. YL NEVER put ANY fillers in their oils, EVER! YL is the only company that had oils you can ingest and is FDA certified, no other company has this. There are SO many reasons why I picked YL.
Check out their website and read about how awesome they really are. ;)
- 3 T Coconut Oil
- 3 T Baking Soda
- 2 T Shea Butter
- 2 T Arrowroot (optional) or cornstarch
- 5 drops Young Living Lemongrass essentials or Lavender
- 7 drops young Living tea tree (melaleuca)
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over low heat until barely melted.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda and arrowroot (If you don’t have arrowroot, use more baking soda or just omit)
- Mix well
- Add essential oils and pour into a glass container for storage. It does not need to be stored in the fridge.
6. 🌿HOMEMADE BATH BOMBS🌿
1/2 c. Baking soda
1/4 c. Epson salt, which Soothe muscles and softens skin.
1/4 c. cornstarch, and that just holds everything together.
1/4 c. citrus acid, this is the most important ingredient because it reacts with the baking soda to make the fizz.
1 1/2 teaspoons castor oil.
I love using castor or oil because of Its therapeutic properties. It’s a natural anti-inflammatory, super hydrating. It’s in beauty products, and it’s Noncomedogenic which means: Not likely to cause pore blockages and breakout.
3 to 5 drops of food coloring.
1/2 tablespoon of any essential oil.
1/2 tablespoon water then mix.
7. How To Make Laundry Detergent
- 6 cups baking soda
- Three bars of non-toxic coconut soap, finely grated (One made with coconut oil works best. You can buy it on-line or at WholeFoods market.
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil
ADDITIONAL ITEMS YOU’LL WANT TO HAVE ON HAND:
More on what to do with this stuff in the instructions below
- Cut soap into small chunks. Add to the food processor along with the baking soda and lemon essential oil.
- Blend until you have a fine powder. Also, let it settle a bit before opening the container or the powder will float onto your kitchen counter.
- Put it into a glass jar.
These instructions are for a top loader. I don’t have any experience with front loaders, sorry!
- Add 2-3 tablespoons laundry detergent per load ( If you are washing in cold water, dissolve it in hot water before adding it in. I prefer to start each load with a little hot water to dissolve and then put my laundry in)
- If desired, add about five drops of lemon essential oil as a degreaser
- If washing whites, add a scoop of powdered oxygen bleach or pour 1/2 cup peroxide in the bleach compartment
- Add 1/2 cup vinegar to a Downy ball or the fabric softener compartment
- For extra fabric softening goodness and a shorter drying time, toss some wool dryer balls with some lavender essential oil. The smell is Wowza good!
What is Lyme Disease?
Also known as Lyme borreliosis, Lyme disease is an infectious disease caused by Borellia type bacteria. It is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected ticks belonging to the Ixodes genus. Once the tick bites, it must be attached for about 36 to 48 hours for the bacteria to start spreading. Lyme disease does not appear to be transmissible from one person to another through contact or other means, from other animals to humans or through food.
Just like any other bug-borne disease, prevention is better than cure when it comes to Lyme disease. Protect yourself from ticks especially in tick infested regions such as those areas near the coastlines, tall grasses, bushes and shrubs, the edges of woods and lawns & gardens by wearing long clothing and using tick repellents (you can find a DIY tick repellent below).
Some of the early symptoms & indications of Lyme disease are:
- A bull – eye rash that spreads around the bite like a target
- Body aches and pain
- Flu – like symptoms
- And more
Not all those with Lyme disease may experience all these symptoms but once you experience any of them, it’s best to get checked by a doctor because untreated patients may suffer from severe and chronic symptoms that affect multiple body systems including the nerves, brain, heart, eyes and joints.
How Do Essential Oils Help Lyme Disease?
Essential oils are highly concentrated and aromatic oils extracted from the leaves, roots, flowers, fruits, seeds, roots, stems and resin of plants. They have natural chemical constituents such as terpenes and alcohol Remember essential oils cannot ‘cure’ Lyme disease but help prevent and lessen the severe symptoms. Some of the ways essential oils can help Lyme disease are by:
- Strengthening the immune system
- Fighting bacteria
- Detoxify the body
- Soothe skin irritation
- Reduces your temperature
- Help with achy muscles
- Relieve itchiness
- Alleviate body soreness
- Provides antioxidant protection
- And more
Research on Essential Oils for Lyme Disease
► Study One: Carvacol, one of the key compounds in both oregano and clove oils, was seen to be efficient against ticks (1)
► Study Two: Vetiver oil was shown to have acaricidal properties against ticks (2)
► Study Three: The efficiency of treatment of ticks with formulations containing clove oil was over 90%, making it better than citronella oil and commercial chemical tick repelling products (3)
Top 10 Essential Oils for Lyme Disease
8. Sweet Marjoram
How to Use Essential Oils for Lyme Disease – 3 Recipes
Find 3 recipes for preventing and treating Lyme disease below. Remember, you should use these recipes in conjunction with professional medical treatment for a faster cure. For prevention, you can always use the above essential oils for outdoor diffusers in your backyard or garden or make citronella candles using a blend of citronella and other essential oils above to ward off ticks.
1. Tick Repelling Recipe
Prevention is the best way to go for health conditions like Lyme disease. Take a look at this essential oil blend to keep ticks away:
What you need
- 10 drops clove
- 10 drops vetiver
- 10 drops citronella
- 3 drops oregano
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz glass dropper bottle
Combine all oils in a glass dropper bottle. Apply about 7 – 10 drops all over exposed skin just like a lotion before heading out.
2. Essential Oil Lyme Bomb
Please note that essential oils are highly concentrated and can be toxic if used in high amounts! Before ingesting essential oils, make sure you confirm that the oil you’re using is 100% pure, USDA certified organic, non-GMO and heavy metal – free. If you cannot confirm these, then please, it’s better not to ingest essential oils. Young Living essential oils are the best on the market and that is why I only use YL essential oils. YL oils are pure from seed to harvest, so you can trust you're getting the "best of the best" when using these oils.
What you need
- Place the essential oils, drop by drop into a vegetable capsule.
- Top with olive oil.
- Take one after meals, preferably once or twice a day for three days.
3. Roll – On Blend for Feet
Applying essential oils to the feet is one of the best ways of benefiting from the medicinal properties of these precious liquids of Nature. Combined with foot reflexology, which is a valuable and effective holistic treatment that uses the power of the key meridians of the foot that connect to different body organs, you can have a powerful way of naturally combating many health conditions. Check out this roll – on blend for Lyme disease:
What you need
- 10 drops frankincense
- 10 drops clove
- 10 drops bergamot
- 5 drops oregano
- Fractionated coconut oil
- 10 ml roll – on bottle
- Combine all oils in the roll – on bottle and give it a shake to mix them up.
- Roll on to your foot then deeply press and massage all areas.
- Repeat with the other foot.
- Cover your feet with a pair of comfortable socks and go to bed.
Using essential oils for Lyme disease is a great way to prevent it and reduce its severity. Will you try using essential oils for Lyme disease?
I love this video on how Ningxia Red got started. Remember to watch part 1 & 2.
I began drinking Ningxia Red four months ago while I was undergoing a Facebook Ningxia Red challenge through Young Living. The challenge was only for one month, but after a few days of drinking this delicate drink, I was hooked! infact, my boyfriend was hooked! My memory was acute, my focus was great, and my energy level was even more abundant. It's hard to believe this little drink made such a difference in my life and continues to make a difference. There are some days when I have forgotten to drink it and I can definitely feel the difference. I can't imagine my life without it.
Everyone should read this insightful book by Dr Dyer. I have been a fan of his for many years, watching him share his wisdom on PBS. P of I is the formula for living a much better life of abundance, happiness and your influence on those human beings you associate with as you move in this world. I have been incorporating this knowledge, which is affecting my attitude and experiencing changes occurring in my life. goodness and abundant thing are happening; my career is seeing positive results and rewards are being seen and heard.